So I moved in June and started at a new church in July. It has been a wild ride, but I am actually loving it – even when I get frustrated (mostly by technology and not stuff and people). But we are moving forward – everyday – even when the steps are just small ones. Most of this list was accomplished in the past 7 months – because of a lot of hard work by many people. The letter goes to the congregation in the mail today, but blog readers can get a jump start!
Did you know this about College Place United Methodist Church?
- Two new members that joined the church in the last few months. Each Sunday we have noticed that we have a number of visitors.
- Our church paid 100% of the commitment for Conference and global support and local Missions of the United Methodist Church. We maintained its rich history of paying 100% of Conference asking to support missions around the world. Fifty-two churches (or 73%) of the district can say that.
- Hosted a Community Thanksgiving Service and Reception the Thursday before Thanksgiving Day.
- College Place has a new headset microphone used during worship (donated).
- Developed and approved the 2012 Ministry Budget in mid-December 2011.
- Had a weekly Bible Study/small group based on Bad Girls of the Bible.
- A Wesley-Luther Campus Ministry Bible Study was held at the church this past fall with various groups hosting a meal for the students.
- Senior Adult Valentine’s Day Party next Tuesday morning.
- An Ash Wednesday worship service is being planned for Wednesday, February 22 at 5:30 p.m.
10. The Friends Class is planning a spaghetti supper for March 24. Part of the funds will go to start a fund to raise money for restoring chimes in the tower as an offering to the College Hill community.
11. Wonderful news the Staff-Parish Committee is in the process of hiring staff to develop our Young Peoples’ Ministry for our church and community.
12. We have outdoor signs that call attention to events such as Sunday Night Live and Wonderful Wednesday. We had visitors drop in for Wonderful Wednesday and returned to worship on Sunday.
13. The lighting of the sign and tower has been fixed and updated so the tower is illuminated at night.
14. College Place has five stone flower planters with lovely winter flowers that were donated. Four planters are at the front on the steps to the church and one on the side. We’ve seen our neighbors stopping and enjoying their beauty.
15. New computer software that allows design and printing of all kinds of brochures, flyers, bulletins and newsletters that we can better communicate happenings at College Place Church (donated).
16. The young adult group, CPYA, hosted the Fall Festival and Chili Cook-off and talked Santa into visiting just before Christmas.
17. We have updated Phone Tree software for calling, emailing and contacting members and friends of the church about happenings at College Place (donated).
18. The O’ Henry magazine featured our UMW cookbook being used to cook the meal at Greensboro Urban Ministry’s Weaver House in its Oct/Nov edition.
Technical Improvements and Updates
19. Two new Dell computers (95% donated) that are networked with each other and the copier (used as a much cheaper printer than bubble jet printers).
20. A new internet system giving us Wi-Fi in most of the building – the sanctuary, fellowship hall and for the basement area for Max and Friends. (Little set-up cost and actual reduction to our monthly services – Thanks AT&T!). No surfing the internet during the sermon!
Church Building Improvements and Updates
21. College students have painted and are renovating their Sunday school room and a new couch and loveseat set will complete this room soon (donated).
22. Max and Friends have continued their improvements to the basement area by cleaning and painting additional rooms and putting in new lighting in the old fellowship hall. They are currently working on the old kitchen and a couple of the rooms downstairs.
23. We’ve added beautiful, energy efficient windows in the pastor’s office, secretary’s office, music director’s office, storage room, Friend’s Class, John Wesley Room and kitchen (purchased with donated or endowment earnings for maintenance). Trustees have developed an on-going fund raising for more window replacement.
24. A renovated John Wesley Room with new blinds, drapes, flooring, rugs, recovered furniture and presentation cabinet. (All done by funds donated for this purpose.) A new painting of the original Church sanctuary hangs over the mantle in the John Wesley Room. It was painted by a member and donated. A dedication of the room is planned for March 4.
25. Renovated offices have fresh carpet and paint, blinds, new desks (both gifts). The office has been rearranged to aid efficiency. The office restroom was painted, new shelving added for storage and covering for heating & A/C return ductwork. This was all accomplished by funds outside the ministry budget of the church (either donations or endowment specified for maintenance).
26. A new security system that features up to 8 cameras to monitor 8 areas of the church and enabling recording of entry and movement in our building. It replaced the previous system which was not consistently working (donated).